Tinuom Festival: A Celebration Named After a Local Soup
Belle Piccio | Aug 31, 2018
Cabatuan is a first class municipality in Iloilo Province. Located in the heart of Panay Island, the cultural and religious town is divided into 68 barangays. Its main source of livelihood is from its agricultural land where different varieties crops are richly produced such as sweet potato, corn, taro, cassava and rice.
The town is known to annually celebrate the Cabatuan Town Fiesta on September 10 that culminates with Tinuom Festival. This 2018, the Tinuom Festival dance competition is scheduled on September 1.
The Tinu-om Festival is a celebration of the town’s history and its popular delicacy, tinu-om, a famed local soup. The main ingredient is native chicken with tomatoes, garlic, onions, ginger, and lemon grass, all wrapped in banana leaves.
Tinuom Festival is just one of the highlights the celebration of Cabatuan Town Fiesta. The street dance competition is composed usually of Cabatuan students that are formed and called as “tribu” or tribe. The basic dance steps and music is greatly influenced by Iloilo’s Kasadyahan Festival where the winning group is sent to represent the municipality.
Activities include Talent Showdown, Civic Parade, Little Miss Tinuom, Dog Fashion Show, Cabatuan Food Festival, Tinuom Festival Queen among others.
Cabatuan Patronal Fiesta Celebration 2018 Schedule of Activities (may subject to change without prior notice)
- August 17 - September 9 - Food Festival
- August 23 (PM), Thursday - Let’s Bingo
- August 26 (PM), Sunday - Tinuom Festival King and Queen
- August 28 (PM), Tuesday - Let’s Bingo
- August 29 (PM), Wednesday - Cabatuan’s Greatest Show
- August 30 (PM), Thursday - Let’s Bingo
- August 31 (PM), Friday - Let’s Bingo
- September 1 (PM), Saturday - Tinuom Festival 2018 Dance Competition
- September 1 (PM), Saturday - Dinner & Dance Extravanza
- September 2 (PM), Sunday - Let’s Bingo
- September 3 (PM), Monday - Little Miss Tinuom
- September 3 (PM), Monday - Gabi ng Gandang Hari and Talent Showdown
- September 4, Tuesday - Child Development Workers Acrobat Show
- September 6 (PM), Thursday - PTA Night
- September 6 (PM), Thursday - Coronation of Mr. & Miss Dep Ed II
- September 7 (8:00am-5:00pm1) - PES Job Fair 2018
- September 8 (AM), Saturday - Best Dog Show
- September 8 (PM), Saturday - Step Up 4, Cabatuan Street Dance Competition
- September 10 (7:00pm), Monday - Cabatuan Fiest Queen 2018 Coronation Night
You don’t need to travel far if you want to explore the municipality. Did you know that the Iloilo International Airport is located in Cabatuan, Iloilo? Aside from its town fiesta, Cabatuan also boast of its historical and heritage spots!
How to Get There
From Manila, you can fly to Iloilo (estimated cost of PhP3,500++, round trip, one hour). You can also opt for a bus trip (estimated cost of PhP875++ per head, air-conditioned bus and boat fare, 17 hours plus).