The summer heat is the perfect excuse to douse yourself in ice cream. But if you're looking to expand your tastebuds, we've collected unusual flavors we came across in our travels around the Philippines. We've ranked these from the uncommon all the way to bizarre, so we ask you: why stick to boring vanilla or chocolate ice cream when you can have...
- Carabao Milk Ice Cream. Let's start off with something easy. The ingredients are uncommon, but the taste is just as familiar.
- Ube-Mango Ice Cream This gelato flavor actually won an award last March, and it isn't hard to see why.
- Bibingka Ice Cream Our favorite Christmas treat in ice cream form?! Aba, syempre naman!
- Gabi Ice Cream Gabi: It's that vegetable you always find in sinigang. Ngayon, nasa ice cream mo na! We've reached the point of no return: ice cream flavors will keep getting weirder and weirder after this.
- Sili Ice Cream If you're into spicy food, this is a definite must-try: the cold and creaminess numbs the tongue, but once you stop chewing, the anghang hits you with full force!
- Ampalaya (!) Ice Cream As an ode to singles everywhere, Sebastian's Ice Cream released this last Valentine's Day. Dahil ang pag-ibig, tulad ng ice cream na ito, mapait.
- Wasabi Ice Cream Remember that time when you first encountered wasabi and thought it was green tea or pistacchio ice cream and immediately ate it and felt stupid afterwards? Yup, this is that experience all over again.
- Durian Ice Cream made with Crocodile Eggs Kung hindi ka kuntento sa itlog ng manok, they say that crocodile eggs are all yolk, and using it in ice cream makes for a really creamy texture. Good luck!
- Lechon Ice Cream! Lechon + ice cream. What more can you ask for? Suka na lang siguro, 'no?
- Crocodile Ice Cream It's green, and served with a plastic crocodile toy. Cute, and scary, all at the same time!
- Bangus and Tilapia Ice Cream No words for this. This is by far, the weirdest we've ever encountered. Order extra rice for these two ice cream flavors.
We Filipinos pride ourselves in our creativity, and with these flavors, we truly are a wondrously creative people!
(All photo credits and sources are available on the original article)