History and Culture
IN PHOTOS: A Look Inside The Our Lady Of Peñafrancia Museum
Choose Philippines | Sep 11, 2019
Story and photos by Jessa Mylce Mella
2019 marks the 309th year of the devotion of the Bicolanos to the Our Lady of Peñafrancia. To have a better understanding of the story of the faith to the “Patroness of Bicol,” visit the Our Lady of Peñafrancia Museum, located at Peñafrancia Avenue, Naga City.
The history of the faith and devotion to the Our Lady of Peñafrancia is featured in twelve dioramas, from the search and discovery of the sacred image by a Franciscan lay brother Simon Vela in 1428 Salamanca, Spain up to the spread of the Peñafrancia devotion to Naga (formerly called Nueva Caceres) through the sickly University of Sto. Tomas Seminarian Miguel Robles de Covarrubias in 1700s.
There are three important events to the history of the Peñafrancia Faith. First was the Colgante Wooden Bridge Tragedy on September 16, 1972, where 138 people died. Second, the sacred image of Peñafrancia was stolen in August 1981 and was recovered after a year. Lastly, on September 16, 1999, was the canonical coronation of Our Lady of Peñafrancia as Queen Patroness of Bicol.
The museum also features the ‘Manto’ or the beautiful embroidered robes or capes that were used by the image of Peñafrancia through the years.
One of which is this ‘Manto’ that was ripped-off during the unruly Traslacion Procession in 1996.
The museum has an entrance fee of P15.00 and P10.00 for students. It is open Mondays to Saturdays at 9:00am-12:00nn & 1:30pm-5:00pm; Sunday 9:00am-12:00nn. For more information or reservations, contact +639082395191.