A Yummy Creamy Caldereta Recipe
Belle Piccio | Jun 06, 2014
Caldereta is a Filipino tomato-based stew. You can use goat, beef, or pork meat. And don’t forget the liver spread!
The secret to perfect your caldereta: be sure to buy the best quality meat and make it tender but not dry. But for those who don't have the patience to wait, you can save some time with pressure cookers.
Here’s a recipe good for 6 servings.
- 1 kilo – goat meat / beef / pork; cubed
- 2 cups / 2 pieces, big – potatoes; cubed
- 2 cups – carrots; sliced
- 1 piece, big – onion; finely chopped or diced
- 3 cloves / 1 piece – garlic; chopped or diced
- 1 cup / 250 ml to 1 liter – tomato sauce
- 4 cups / 1 liter – water
- 1 cup – red (and green) bell pepper; sliced and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup – liver spread and/or liver paste; blended
- 1 tsp – salt (or according to taste)
- 1 tbsp – black pepper (or according to taste)
- 3 pieces, large – bay leaves
- 1 tsp – chili; crushed
- 1 cup – cooking oil or for a healthier option you can use olive oil
- 2/3 cup – green olives
- grated cheese (optional)
- pineapple tidbits (optional)
- mushrooms (optional)
- soysauce (optional)
- Heat cooking oil in a large pan.
- Fry the carrots and potatoes until color turns light brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the beef. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add water and allow it to boil until the meat is tender. If using a pressure cooker it will only take you about 30 minutes; an ordinary pot will take you up to 2 hours or more.
- Optional Step: Add soy sauce and pineapple tidbits, wait for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, mushrooms (optional) and liver spread. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green olives, carrots, bay leaves, bell pepper, crushed chili and potatoes. Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add cheese (optional), salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!