Chicken Sopas: A Homemade Pinoy Recipe
Belle Piccio | Jun 24, 2014
We all love to eat and we all have our favorite dishes. One of my favorites is the chicken sopas, which is great for any time but perfect for the rainy season.
I’ll share with you how to cook my own homemade chicken sopas, which uses penne instead of the usual macaroni.
- 2 pieces large cuts of chicken breasts
- 1 can of Vienna sausage, sliced
- Garlic, sliced
- Onions, sliced
- Celery, sliced
- Carrots, julienned
- Cabbage, julienned
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 250 grams of penne
- 1 chicken knorr cube, dissolved in water
- Salt and pepper
1) Boil chicken breasts with at least 4 cups of water. Wait until chicken is cooked. Don’t drain the water, just get the chicken. Set aside the chicken broth.
2) Cut the chicken into cubes or into strips. Set aside.
3) On a separate pot, boil the penne. You can use any pasta that you like. Once cooked, drain the water. Lather the penne with butter. Set aside.
4) On a separate casserole, put a little bit of cooking oil. Sauté garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Add the chicken and Vienna sausage. Pour the chicken broth you set aside with the dissolved chicken Knorr cube. Cover and boil.
5) Add penne and continue cooking. Add cabbage. Pour milk. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
You can experiment with your own chicken sopas. You can add chicken liver and gizzards, even strips of bacon.
Not only is this delicious for merienda, you can also make it as your main viand. Enjoy!