Laswa: A Simple to Prepare Vegetable Soup Recipe
, , Iloilo, Negros Occidental
Eduardo Joven | Sep 17, 2014
Laswa is simple to prepare, but you have to make sure that the vegetable ingredients have to be fresh.
The flavors of the fresh mixed vegetables go together with the shrimp, and that makes the soup flavorful and delicious. Alugbati or kulitis, okra, kalabasa, and saluyot are must-ingredients for this soup, as well as and whatever vegetables that are in season.
Laswa is a healthy dish and is very rich in fiber that helps our proper digestion. The soup is best served immediately while the vegetables are still firm. It's also a great side dish for anything fried (especially fried fish).
- 1/8 kilo diced Kalabasa (squash)
- 1/4 kilo Alugbati (Malabar Spinach) or Kulitis (native spinach)
- 5 pcs Sitaw or Balatong (string beans) cut into 2 inches
- 3 pcs Okra cut into wedges
- 1/4 kilo fresh Shrimp, shell intact
- 1 pc Talong (eggplant), sliced
- Salt to taste or Fish Sauce (patis)
- 2 cloves garlic, pound
- 1 Magic Sarap sachet (optional)
- 6 cups of water
1) Bring the water to a boil.
2) Add the fresh shrimp.
3) Once the fresh shrimp turns pinkish, add the okra then after two minutes add the squash.
4) When the sSquash starts to slightly fork tender, add the string beans and eggplant.
5) Add a half-sachet of Magic Sarap (optional) then add salt to taste or patis.
6) Turn off the heat then add your leafy vegetables; they'll get cooked by the residual heat so it won’t get overcooked.
7) Serve laswa immediately with fried fish.
READ more Pinoy Recipe articles on Choose Philippines.