Perfect for This Bed Weather: Pancit Molo Recipe
Eduardo Joven | Jan 29, 2015
Pancit molo is an adaptation of wonton soup, and is the specialty of the district of Molo in Iloilo City.
Unlike other forms of pancit, pancit molo is not dry but soupy, and it does not make use of long, thin noodles but instead wonton wrappers made from rice flour.
Pancit Molo Filling
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken meat, flaked
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- salt to taste
Pancit Molo Stock
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 25-30 wonton wrappers
- pepper to taste
- chopped spring onions
- Canola oil for sautéing
How to Prepare the Filling
- Combine ingredients in a bowl but use only 1 tsp green onions, salt to taste, and 1 tbsp patis.
- Set aside the remaining ingredients for the broth.
- Put 1 tbsp of the meat mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Wrap by folding one side of the wrapper to cover the filling completely, then turning the unfilled sides of the wrapper up so that the dumpling resembles a flower. (The filled portion should be in the center.)
- Cover the dumplings with a dry kitchen towel and set aside.
Note: Leftover wonton wrappers can also be cut into strips and drop into the hot broth.
How to Make the Broth
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until light brown.
- Add chicken stock and the remaining salt and patis from the filling.
- Allow to boil, the drop the stuffed dumplings into the boiling broth.
- Stir the remaining meat mixture into the broth. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped spring onions.