Have You Tasted Waknatoy (or the Amazing Menudo of Marikina)?
Rafael Reynante | Jul 27, 2015
According to some stories, the name "Waknatoy" can be attributed to Chinese immigrants living in Marikina. This particular recipe for "Marikina Menudo" was so popular and widespread that these immigrants started protesting against it by saying "Ito na naman? Wak na 'toy!" and so the Marikina Menudo named Waknatoy was born.
1 slab of pork belly, cubed and pressure cooked until tender
1 can of vienna sausages or 2 sausages, cubed
1 carrot, peeled and cubed
1 potato, peeled and cubed
2 (green and red) bell peppers, cored and julienned
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup of sweet pickle relish
1 can of liver spread
a small pouch of tomato sauce
a pinch of dried oregano
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 cup of water
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Sauté garlic and onion until tender.
- Add cooked pork, sausage, carrots and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, pickle relish, oregano and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender and add liver spread. Mix well.
- Garnish with bell peppers and serve.