Pichi Pichi: A Pinoy Delicacy Perfect for All Occasions
Belle Piccio | Jul 31, 2015
Pichi pichi is basically made of cassava and sugar. Known to be a gelatinous snack, pichi pichi is served on special occasions or for merienda.
This native delicacy is not too sweet and it can go with your favorite barbecue and spaghetti. Try this easy to follow recipe.
- 16 oz / 2 cups of cassava, grated
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lye water (lihiya)
- ½ tsp or about 4 drops of pandan essence
- 1 cup coconut, grated for topping
- In a large bowl, mix the grated cassava, sugar and water.
- Add the pandan essence and lye water, mix well.
- Pour the mixture into individual molds.
- Steam for 40 minutes up to 1 hour or until it becomes translucent.
- Remove from steamer and let it cool down before removing it from the molds. You can place it inside the refrigerator for about 15 minutes for faster cooling.
- Roll each piece over grated coconut.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you already mastered how to make pichi-pichi, you can even start a small food business!