Classy, Crunchy, Crispy: Cook the Perfect Lechon Kawali Today!
Rafael Reynante | Aug 11, 2015
The pig is an amazing animal that provides us with so much with their hide, meat, and even fur. Filipinos have a very profound respect for pigs, making sure all of them is put to good use in way or another. So out of respect for the humble pig, here is a delicious recipe that does this wonderful animal justice:
1 whole slab of liempo (pork belly), approximately 1 kg.
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cups of cooking oil
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add the coarsely chopped garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and salt. Mix well. Make sure that the water is flavorful enough, since this flavor will transfer to the pork.
- Add the pork belly to the simmering water and cook on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the pork from the water when it is tender enough to be easily pierced by a fork or knife.
- Meanwhile, preheat an oven to 100ºC and roast the pork for 30 minutes. This is to dry the pork and get rid of any excess water.
- After roasting, heat the cooking oil in a deep fryer or large pan until hot. Carefully drop the pork belly into the hot oil and cover immediately as the pork will sizzle and pop.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with rice and your favorite all-around Mang Tomas or atsara.
Other Stories by Rafael Reynante
Tell Us What You Think